With the scorching heat, summer is in full swing. Some celebrate the coming of summer by hosting cookouts with friends and families in their backyard or near pools like Barton Spring Creek, while others simply stay indoor with the A/C on full blast. We fall in the latter group of people. We try to stay indoors and only leave our house when the weather has cooled down at nighttime. Doing what you ask? Well, attending different performing arts events of course! So, we decided to share with our readers - you a list of FREE upcoming performing arts events for you and your loved ones to enjoy and appreciate the arts in our community.
Without further ado, here is the list of FREE Performing Arts Events:
Photos by organizations listed below.
- Zilker Summer Musical: The Wizard of Oz - Thursdays through Sundays July 7 - July 12th at 8:15 PM. Every summer season since 1959, the Zilker Theatre Productions (ZTP) has put on a large-scale musical production at the Zilker Hillside Theater and this year is their 59th season. ZTP has chosen the classic story, The Wizard of Oz as their 2017 production. This event is popular within the Austin community, so be sure to arrive early with your low-backed chairs and blankets! Entrance is FREE (donations are greatly appreciated). Address: Zilker Hillside Theater, 2206 William Barton Dr, Austin, TX 78746
- Africa Night Show by Zoumountchi- Saturday, July 8 at 7:30 PM - 2 AM. Come check out the Zoumountchi show featuring Afro Jazz and student performances of African Dance and Percussion at The Sahara Louge. The event starts at 7:30 PM with FREE African buffet. Parking is FREE. Come early and stay late (dancing until 2 AM).
Address: The Sahara Lounge, 1413 Webberville Rd, Austin, TX 78721
- Summer Art Sizzler by AcoustiCanvas - Saturday, July 8 at 8 PM - 11 PM. AcoustiCanvas is a community group of artists and musicians with the goal of producing one monthly local artisan market featuring acoustic music. Their first July market will be on the patio of the Alamo Drafthouse Lakeline. FREE and family friendly!
Address: Alamo Drafthouse Lakeline, 14028 N US Highway 183, Austin, TX 78717
- UMLAUF Family Day - Sunday, July 9 12 PM - 4 PM. Every second Sunday of each month, the UMLAUF Sculpture Garden & Museum hosts a family day event for families to explore different art-related activities. This Sunday, come and celebrate sculpture with an ice carving demo by Full Spectrum Ice, sing and dance with Armstrong Community Music School, Rock Lab School of Music and Small Wonders Puppet Theater. There will also be yoga and story time. Finally, end the day with shaving cream prints! FREE & open to the public. Address: UMLAUF Sculpture Garden & Museum, 605 Robert E Lee Rd, Austin, TX 78704
- FREE Salsa Lessons & Live Music by DANCE U2 - Every Sundays 7 PM - 10 PM at the Oasis Restaurant. Parents can take FREE dance lessons or dance with their kids. Or come with you loved ones to enjoy Salsa music. FREE & open for all ages.
Address: Oasis Restaurant, 6550 Comanche Trail, Austin, TX 78734
- Concerts in the Park by Austin Symphony & Hartman Foundation - Every Sunday evenings from June 4th - August 27th at 7:30 PM. Running for 15th summer seasons, a different ensemble of the Austin Symphony will perform FREE concerts at the Hartman Concert Park. This Sunday, July 9th will feature the String Orchestra. Don't forget to bring a picnic dinner and blanket for you and your family to enjoy! FREE Parking at One Texas Center (Barton Springs Rd. @ S. 1st St).
Address: Hartman Concert Park at the Long Center, 900 Barton Springs Rd., Austin, TX 78704
One of our primary goals is to support local artists and spread awareness about the performing arts community in Austin. Thank you for supporting B*Tru Arts. We appreciate every donation, opportunity, and time given to us. If you haven't already you can donate here or whenever you shop on Amazon, please use AmazonSmile instead. Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to the charity of your choice (hopeful it's us!).
We hope you and your family will attend and enjoy all of these events! Don't forget to share with your friends and families. Stay cool & btru!